1. The design of the 160-acre site is a "campus" for both farming and creating art. Originally settled in 1784, it is divided into three areas, connected by a series of paths and drives.
2. The artist's studio/barn, a well-proportioned volume made from local wood, and the greenhouse inflect as a pair of gesturing arms that welcome upon approach up the hill.
4. The pair of fourteen-foot paned mahogany sliding doors, made by local artisans, appears to be a standard seven-foot height in the studio/barn, when in fact they are twice that size.
6. The greenhouse is a pre-fabricated kit of parts with motorized louvers for ventilation supplemented by radiant heat. It is a mark of structural expressionism in form and function.
8. The studio/barn is both elemental and ecclesiastical, with a scissor truss structure. It's both a space to work in and for animals to pass through from the woods to the meadow.
9. Tractor wheels are installed on simple yet elegant mobile chicken coops so they could be moved around the various farm fields to fertilize them.
10. The randomly-sized raised vegetable garden beds are organized as a formal landscape and anchored by anthropomorphic stone sculptures by Peter Nadin.
11. The main house contains an annex for pottery in an old garage, another space on the "campus" for creating and making.
12. The site plan of the studio/barn compound is organized for the best light and views. An archive building in progress defines an entry courtyard on the forest side structures.
13. Each building is inspired by local farm vernacular, with basic elements and materials, but uniquely combines them so that all three structures are distinct and original.
14. The site plan accommodates future expansion for additional farm fields, farm equipment stalls, hay storage lofts and a farm manager's offices with apartment house.